Light Utility Vehicle (LUV)
Side by side Training Programme
Why do a Light Utility Vehicle (LUV) training programme with TR Master Drive Services and Natural Instincts?
- You will be professionally trained by qualified and experienced instructors
- Train at one of our nationwide facilities or your own venue
*One-Day or Two-Day courses for LUV Training meet the needs of most clients. In addition to these options, TR Master Drive Services can develop courses to meet specific needs.
To ensure that operators understand and can demonstrate basic knowledge and practical application relating to:
- The characteristics and operations of Light Utility Vehicles.
- Operating a Light Utility Vehicle with due regard to the safety of the:
- Driver and passengers.
- Terrain and Environment.
- Health & Safety Act.
We run both one and two day LUV courses. Our one day course is suited to people with prior off road experience or training. It is also suited to people who currently hold the applicable unit standards and who are looking to complete a refresher course. Our one day course does not include Unit standards 24560, 24562
Our two day course is suited to people with no prior experience or for people who require Unit Standards 24560, and 24562.
Maximum numbers for one instructor is 8 operators - with at least one LUV per three to four people. LUV are to be supplied by the client.
The course includes a mix of theory and practical training and includes elements relating to:
- Health and Safety
- Vehicle checks, pre and post use
- Use of the vehicle over various terrain including water fording
- Loading and unloading from a trailer
- Vehicle drive line and mechanical characteristics
- Stability dynamics
- Correct practice when using LUV in ascent and decent
- Ground composition and recognition and what driving techniques to employ with them
Courses can be unit standard or non-unit standard based. If unit standard based, then units would be selected in consultation with the client.
In addition to these options, TR Master Drive Services Ltd can develop courses to meet specific needs of clients.
Our LUV course includes both theory and practical sessions and can cover the following unit standards
- US 24553 Drive a Light Utility Vehicle on flat terrain. 4 credits.
- US 24556 Demonstrate knowledge of safe operation of a Light Utility Vehicle. 3 credits
- US 24558 Drive a Light Utility Vehicle on hilly terrain. 4 credits
- US 24560 Drive a Light Utility Vehicle with trailed equipment (optional). 3 credits
- US 24562 Drive a Light Utility Vehicle with mounted equipment or a load. 3 credits.
Additional unit standards can be added as required. This may impact course cost and duration.
Operators should be equipped with basic protective gear:
- Helmets, gloves, sturdy footwear and long trousers (jeans are acceptable) with long sleeved shirts as a minimum for upper body wear.
- LUV to be supplied by the client
- A class 1 licence if the LUV is to be ridden on road. No licence is required for off road only applications
What is excluded?
- LUV vehicle
- Protective gear