Heavy Vehicle Licensing:
Class 4 Licensing Course
Reasons you should do a Class 4 Course with TR Master Drive Services:
This course allows drivers to fast track obtaining their Class 4 Truck Driver Licence without waiting 6 months from the time they get their Learner Licence.
- You will be professionally trained by qualified and experienced instructors.
To obtain a Class 4 Truck Driver Licence without having to wait 6 months from the time a Class 4 Learner Licence is obtained.
What size of truck will a Class 4 allow me to drive?
Heavy rigid truck with a gross laden weight of more than 18,000kg.
What do I need to have?
- A Class 4 Learner Licence obtained from a licensing agency.
What do I need to do to get a Class 4 Learner Licence?
- You must have held a Class 2 licence for at least 6 months (or 3 months if you are over 25).
- You’ll need to get a medical certificate (unless you have presented one to the NZTA in the last 5 years).
- You then need to apply for a Class 4L at a licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ or VINZ).
How long does the Class 4 course take?
There is a little pre-course study (collect your study book/s when you come in to pay for the course). There is then normally between 1 hour and 1 day in class depending on what approved licensing courses you have previously completed. This is followed by 2 to 4 hours practical driving.
What unit standards are covered?
- US 17576 – Operate a Class 4 heavy rigid vehicle.
- US 24089 – Work time/Fatigue/Log Book (May not be required if you can provide evidence that you have completed this training in the last 12 months and we are happy with your level of knowledge).
What happens when I pass the course?
- Take the certificate we give you to a licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ or VINZ)) and they will help you apply to have your licence amended to include your new full Class 4 license (Fees apply). We recommend that you present this within 60 days.
- Contact us in 3 months (if you are over 25) or 6 months (if you are under 25) to go for your Class 5 licence - If you are over 25 you may also qualify for a reduction in the 3 month wait – talk to us.
You cannot drive with just the certificate - it is not a licence.
How much does it cost if I can supply a truck and suitable load?
- $860 + GST ($989 including GST) - full course.
- $760 + GST ($874 including GST) - if you can provide evidence that you have:
- completed a Class 2 Approved Course, and
- completed a Work time/Fatigue/Log Book unit and we are happy with your level of knowledge.
How much does it cost if I can’t supply a truck with suitable minimum load of 50% of GLW?
- We can quote for a hire vehicle if required.
Extra practical training:
- $140 plus GST per hour ($161 including GST) + truck hire additional.
What is included in the cost?
- All course and tuition fees.
- NZQA credit registration fees.
What is excluded?
- Truck hire, NZTA or licensing agency fees.
- Any practical training/assessment exceeding 4 hours – which is charged out at $140 plus GST ($161 including GST) per hour plus truck hire costs if applicable.