Heavy Vehicle Licensing:
Class 3 Licensing Course
Reasons you should do a Class 3 Course with TR Master Drive Services:
- This course allows drivers to fast track obtaining their Class 3 Truck Driver Licence without waiting 6 months from the time they get their Learner Licence.
- You will be professionally trained by qualified and experienced instructors.
To obtain a Class 3 Truck Driver Licence without having to wait 6 months from the time a Class 3 Learner Licence is obtained
What size of truck will a Class 3 allow me to drive?
Medium combination vehicle with a gross weight of more than 12,000kg but less than 25,000kg.
What do I need to have?
A Class 3 Learner Licence obtained from a licensing agency.
What do I need to do to get a Class 3 Learner Licence?
- You must have held a Class 2 licence for at least 6 months (or 3 months if you are over 25).
- You’ll need to get a medical certificate (unless you have presented one to the NZTA in the last 5 years).
- Apply for a Class 3L at a licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ or VINZ).
How long does the Class 3 course take?
There is a little pre-course study (collect your study books when you come in to pay for the course). There is then normally between 1/2 day and 1 day in class depending on what approved licensing courses you have previously completed. This is followed by 2 to 4 hours practical driving.
What unit standards are covered?
- US 17575 - Operate a Class 3 medium combination vehicle.
- US 24089 - Work time/Fatigue/Log Book (May not be required if you can provide evidence that you have completed this unit standard in the last 12 months and we are happy with your level of knowledge).
What happens when I pass the course?
- Take the certificate we give you to a licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ or VINZ) and they will help you apply to have your licence amended to include your new full Class 3 license (Fees apply). We recommended that you present this within 60 days.
- Contact us in 3 months (if you are over 25) or 6 months (if you are under 25) to go for your Class 4 license - If you are over 25 you may also qualify for a reduction in the 3-month wait – talk to us.
You cannot drive with just the certificate - it is not a license.
How much does it cost?
- $860 + GST ($989 including GST) for full course + truck hire additional
Extra practical training:
- $140 + GST ($161 including GST) + truck hire.
What is included in the cost?
- All course and tuition fees.
- NZQA credit registration fees.
What is excluded?
- Truck hire, NZTA or licensing agency fees.
- Any practical training/assessment exceeding 4 hours - charged out at $140 plus GST ($161 including GST) per hour plus truck hire costs if applicable.