Heavy Vehicle Licensing:
Class 2 Licensing Course
Reasons you should do a Class 2 Course with TR Master Drive Services:
- This course allows drivers to fast track obtaining their Class 2 Truck Driver Licence without waiting 6 months from the time they get their Learner Licence.
- You will be professionally trained by qualified and experienced instructors.
To obtain a Class 2 Truck Driver Licence without having to wait 6 months from the time a Class 2 Learner Licence is obtained.
What size of truck will a Class 2 allow me to drive?
Rigid truck with a gross laden weight between 6,000kg and 18,000kg or over 18,000kg with no more than 2 axles.
What do I need to have?
A Class 2 Learner Licence obtained from a licensing agency.
What do I need to do to get a Class 2 Learner Licence?
- You must have held a full NZ Class 1 (car) licence for at least 6 months.
- You’ll need to get a medical certificate (unless you have presented one to the NZTA in the last 5 years).
- You’ll need to pass a theory test at a licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ or VINZ).
If you need coaching with your Class 2 Learner Licence - we can provide training for a small additional fee.
How long does the Class 2 course take?
There is a little pre-course study (collect your study book/s when you come in to pay for the course). There is then normally one day in class (sometimes an hour or two more), followed by 2 to 4 hours practical driving on day 2 (arranged with instructor on day 1).
What unit standards are covered?
- US 17574 - Operate a Class 2 rigid vehicle.
- US 24089 - Work time/Fatigue/Log Book.
What happens when I pass the course?
- Take the certificate we give you to a licensing agency (e.g. AA, VTNZ or VINZ)) and they will help you apply to have your licence amended to include your new full Class 2 license (Fees apply). We recommended that you present this within 60 days.
- Contact us in 3 months (if you are over 25) or 6 months (if you are under 25) to go for your Class 3 or Class 4 license - If you are over 25 you may also qualify for a reduction in the 3-month wait – talk to us.
You cannot drive with just the certificate - it is not a license.
What are the course fees?
- $1080 plus GST ($1,242 including GST)
Extra practical training:
- $180 plus GST per hour ($207 including GST)
What is included in the cost?
- All course and tuition fees.
- Truck and NZQA credit registration fees.
- Cost includes the supply of a truck. If you choose to provide a truck, course fees are reduced to $860 plus GST.
What is excluded?
- NZTA or licensing agency fees.
- Any practical training/assessment exceeding 4 hours - charged out at $180 plus GST ($207 including GST) per hour.